Sunday, January 19, 2014

Training Log: First Outdoor Run of 2014

Yesterday was one of those days that I might not have run outside if I had been home.  Temperature was in the low- to mid-30's, with intermittent light rain.  I've run outside at colder temps, and I've run in the rain, but the combination just doesn't motivate me - especially when the warm gym and treadmill are less than a mile away.  I don't love the treadmill, but I don't love being cold and wet at the same time, either.

Alas, I was more than 200 miles away from the gym, in coastal New England, feeling like I needed to do something other than curl up with a blanket and a book for the whole day.  In the end it was the setting that got me outside.  As usual, I started to feel more like running as soon as I started putting running clothes on.  Four layers on top kept me warm, and the views kept me happy to be outside.

Here is what my training plan said:  long run, 75-105 minutes

Here is what I did:  86 minutes, run/walk 3:00/0:45 (BTW, I never would have lasted that long on the treadmill.)

I didn't cover very much distance, just a little over 6 miles, so this sign that I saw along the way obviously wasn't meant for me!


Here is what my stretch break at the halfway point looked like.  That's the Atlantic Ocean down below:


And here is the scenery on a nicer day, mid-autumn, last time I was here:




All in all, I was (as usual) glad I got out.  And glad I went when I did.  During the second half of my run, the intermittent rain turned to a steadier one.  After I was back in the house it was falling slush instead of rain, followed by snow.  Then, it felt good to curl up with a blanket and book, without any guilt!

What gets you motivated to run outside when it's not your favorite weather?

No comments:

Post a Comment