Tuesday, April 22, 2014

TTMMSY (Things That Make Me Say "YIKES!")

In my Facebook news feed Saturday morning: 
My comment:
 
YIKES is right!!!!!

yikes

Google:  expressing shock and alarm, often for humorous effect
UrbanDictionary.com:  a term used to show shock or extreme surprise
Mirriam-Webster.com:  used to express fear or astonishment
 
Yikes, indeed!  I am not surprised or astonished that the Mastodon Challenge 15K is now less than 3 weeks away, but I am somewhat scared and alarmed!

 

Some Other Things That Make Me Say "Yikes!"

- Last year I could run my 5-mile neighborhood route in just under 50 minutes; now it takes me 58.

 

- How many runs I've missed in April because of schedule irregularities, a chest cold, sore feet and a good book.
 (Hey, what can I say?  I'm a "hobby runner!")

 

- How out of whack I've let my eating habits become and how much of my weight loss I've regained (which I'm pretty sure explains my slowdown).

 

- Just how sore the top of my right foot has been after a couple of recent runs.  (I think I made a bad choice last time I bought running shoes.)

 

Rita Jeptoo ran the Boston Marathon in less time than it took me to do a HALF marathon!

 

Speaking of the Boston Marathon

It's unusual that I would recognize the name of an elite runner because I don't follow the sport at that level, but when I read that Meb Keflezighi won the Boston Marathon I thought his name sounded familiar and I had a feeling that it had something to do with the NYC Marathon.  I was right, here it is:  http://www.letsrun.com/news/2013/11/time-life/.  Based on that, which is all I know about him, I think he deserved to win!  Yay, Meb!

 

Back to Me

Last year I completed the Mastodon Challenge in 1:36:32, for a 10:22 pace, and that included walk breaks!  That really made me say "Yikes!" (expressing astonishment) because it was almost a whole minute per mile faster than my pace two weeks prior in my first half marathon.  I don't think I can hope to match that this year, so my goal will just be to enjoy the run - and hopefully to finish it without my feet hurting too much! 

 

Eighteen days to go! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment