Saturday, January 18, 2014

Why Am I Writing a Running Blog? Here Are Three Reasons.


I hate to run, or so I say.  I like to write.  Here are the three reasons I’ve decided to combine the two.

1.        Because writing is more fun than running.  People tell me I’m a good writer.  Except for work, I hardly ever do it.   No one has ever called me a good runner, but I do it several times a week.  Running is exercise; writing could be a hobby.  I’ve always thought that I might write for fun and/or money after I retire.  Writing this blog will give me some practice, and maybe I’ll find out if I can actually write anything that other people might choose, voluntarily, to read!

But why blog about running?
 
2.       So I can share without boring or annoying my non-running friends. There seem to be millions of running blogs, but none of them are by me!  None of them are about the things I see or think while I’m running, or about my experiences.  Not that my thoughts and experiences are all that special, but I do have them and sometimes I feel like telling somebody about them.  Most of the people I speak with day-to-day, either in person or on Facebook, aren’t likely to be too interested.  Maybe by blogging, I’ll find one or two people who are, and we can have some fun conversations!

 But why spend time on this?

3.       Because maybe I’ll learn to love running!  Now that I’ve found that I can run (sort of) and have seen and felt the benefits, I want to keep doing it for as long as I am able.  That might get easier if I could actually come to think of it as fun!  (Some people might not call me a runner, or might not even be too sure I actually am running if they saw me in action, but that’s for another post.)  Maybe I’ll find some inspiration from conversations that take place here!

I hope to connect with some other running writers, or writing runners; if you’re out there and reading this, please leave a comment about why you write and how it’s helped you as a runner.  And tell me where to find your blog so I can follow you!

2 comments:

  1. Hi , Just read your new blog. Great job in starting to run and doing the blog. I also just started doing a blog about changing the ways of eating and the different challenges you have .Congrats on 6km. I do find doing the blog keeps me more accountable. http://janiemari.blogspot.com/2014/01/grab-and-go-paleo-egg-muffins-for-busy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Jane! I hope you'll come back! I just read your blog; those muffins sound delicious!

      Delete